Reading is on my (Kat’s) list of things to do more of in 2019. I enjoy reading, but never allow myself time to read. That’s changing in 2019! One of the goals I fleshed out during my PowerSheet prep is that I do want to read more … and what better way to do more of something we love then to do it with friends (AKA you!)!
So, for the first time ever we’re kicking off a Quarterly Reading List!
Here’s how it will work:
- At the beginning of every quarter, I’ll share a blog post with the two books I’m reading – one for the heart & one for the head. You can grab your own copy on Amazon Prime or the Kindle version & read along with me!
- I’ll post updates on IG Story (be sure to follow along here!) throughout the quarter and even do an IG Live or two!
- At the end of the quarter, I’ll write a blog post reviewing the two books from the quarter!
In this first quarter (Jan-March), I’ve picked two books to begin with:
For the Heart:
A Simplified Life by Emily Ley: I’m ashamed to admit that this book has been on my shelf for a year now! But with the Contentment Challenge in mind (as well as a refreshed outlook on the new year), I know it’s the perfect time to simplify.
For the Head:
Profit First by Mike Michalowicz: It’s so easy to care more about the “fun” biz topics: Instagram, Pinterest, client experience, etc.. However, if we don’t understand our bottom line- if we don’t have a handle on finances- we’re just running a glorified hobby. I want to start 2019 with a better understanding of how to think about profit first!
For those of you that aren’t bookworms (or have a hard time making it a priority on your to-do list – like me!), I’ve got a some quick tips for reading this quarter:
- Read one chapter per day. You can choose to start or end your day with it, but focus on one per day! You’ll be able to finish that book much faster than you think! 😉
- Be open to a variety of book forms. Think about mixing things up throughout the month. Have a hard copy of one book, then try Audible for the second! Or maybe reading on your Kindle works best because you can pick it up in the car line (when your car is parked 😉 or waiting in the doctor’s office). I’ve actually never used Audible before & am excited to try it out during our reading time together!
- Set deadlines. This loops in with #1! For those of you who are goal or deadline driven, set goals for how often you want to read and how much you want to read in each setting! Hold yourself accountable and physically add reading to your daily priority list so you feel accomplished when checking it off!
- Start small. I only selected two books per quarter for a reason! There are so many great books out there… I could have easily selected one book per month or two per “heart” and “head” category. But because finding time to read is a struggle for me, I’m starting small. This isn’t “go-big-or-go-home”; the point is a slow shift that makes reading more frequently a habit!
- Accountability. I hope this reading list holds all of us accountable!! But in order to go a bit further: ask a fellow C@H alum to join you in the quarterly reading challenge, or share on social media what you’re reading. For me, writing a book review blog post at the end of each quarter is a big accountability push to actually read the book! 😉
Are you planning to read A Simplified Life & Profit First with me this quarter? Comment below & let me know!!
This post contains affiliate links.