Hi sweet friends! I’m Kara, a wedding photographer and virtual small business coach from Central Illinois. As a photographer and small business owner in my sixth year of business, my journey has had its pits, peaks, and countless times of learning and navigating how my passion and this business can serve others.
It’s safe to say that my creative space has changed over the years since I started my business out of my cramped college dorm room and now work out of my home office. In the early years, I would find myself working from my bed or couch. While I value those spaces (and the cozy, comfort!) because they allowed me to get work done and grow my business, they were not spaces where I felt inspired and equipped to truly serve my people and do my very best work. You see, this is when I started to realize that for me, and so many other creatives, a creative space is key!
So, that’s why I truly believe (and I’m shouting it from the rooftops!) that being intentional with your office space is one of the foundational means of being able to serve your people!
That’s right, I am ALL about having your own creative space… Maybe it’s a nook in your kitchen or living room or maybe it’s a dedicated office. There are three essential reasons why you should have your own creative workspace:
- You need a space to be intentional with your work.
- You need a space to be committed to your work.
- You need a space that fuels your creativity and passion.
Take it from me – my first official office was in our living room after saying goodbye to that college dorm room, then I upgraded to a little more space in our guest bedroom, and today, I have my very own office in our home. Now on the any given workday from my home office, you’ll find me in my pink (oh, yeah!) desk chair snuggled in with our puppy on my lap.
When thinking about your own creative workspace, there are a few things to consider:
- Spend time decorating your workspace to it reflects you, your brand, and your passion for business. Maybe you love succulents and artwork from a local artist or maybe you love a crisp, clean workspace. Make your creative space a reflection of your brand, your biz, and most importantly, YOU! It is incredibly encouraging to have a creative space where you simply feel good and grounded yet energized and inspired, and I believe everyone needs their own “office oasis” or creative space no matter how big or small.
- Don’t feel pressured to spend a lot of money on your creative space. Your creative space never needs to be a space where you pour hundreds of dollars into someone else’s Pinterest vision… Remember, this is YOUR space, and it should reflect you! And yes, I absolutely recommend setting a budget if you’re reworking your creative space to keep you on track.
- Make the most of what you have. That’s right, I’m here to tell you that it’s okay if you do not have a dedicated room in your home that serves as your creative space. Whether you’re working from a nook in your kitchen or small desk in your living room, I encourage you to make the most of what you DO have. The most important part is simply having a dedicated creative space to do your work.
Friends, having a creative space that is dedicated to you and your passion and your work is truly the icing on the cake. Do you have your own creative space? I’d love for you to share it on Instagram at #mycreativeofficespace – I can’t wait to see the space where your magic happens!
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW
share this post on